Monday, March 1, 2010

Keeping the Record Straight

I love history, especially a good story about an event in history. I would have never known about King Leonidas and the 300 Spartans or Capt. Winters and the 101st Airborne, if someone didn’t keep a record of the event. That’s why I started keeping a detailed record of everything I do to get out of debt. I don’t plan on making a book, well not yet at least, but I want to be able to look back on this time in my life and see how I overcame all of the obstacles of becoming debt free. I would recommend you do the same.
It doesn’t have to be something elaborate like a full blown webpage or a novel with the intention of turning it into a NY Times Best Seller. Just keep a record for you and you alone. I like using a simple journal that I write every few days in about some of the things I have done to get out of debt. An entry can be as simple as a few lines or as long as a few pages; whatever you need to get your thoughts across.

The added bonus of writing your actions down is that it allows you to clear your head and focus on the important things you have done. Also, some ideas will come into your head while you are writing and now you have a perfect place to put them, your journal. I routinely go back and review my entries just to make sure that I haven’t forgotten any ideas I had while writing. I actually keep an “idea book” with me so I can put down the random ideas I have during the day. A really good “idea book” is made by Moleskin because its small enough to carry around and its hardbound for long term keeping. The idea is from another blogger, I don't remember who, maybe "The Simple Dollar" or "Wisebread". Either way, I liked the idea of an "idea book" so now I use it everyday.
One of the things I like about writing in my journal is that all the ideas and thoughts that take up space in my head I now can get out of my head and onto paper. This allows me to focus my brain power on more important things, like controlling my spending habits.

No comments:

Post a Comment